Are you familiar with chewing sugarless gum and how it benefits your smile? Due to its ability to produce saliva, it is extremely beneficial for your oral health and can help ensure that your teeth and gums function long into life. At times when brushing is not possible due to the fact that abrasion can occur, especially after eating when your teeth are extremely sensitive, alternative cleaning methods such as chewing sugarless gum are often recommended. Here’s why:
– If you are at risk for heartburn, try chewing sugarless gum to help neutralize stomach acids and rinse away acids that seek to cause dental erosion.
– At no point in time should sugarless chewing gum be used as a complete replacement for your daily brushing and flossing routines.
– Chewing gum is extremely effective after meals and can rinse away food debris without being abrasive.
– Always focus on using sugar-free gum as gum containing sugar can lead to additional health issues.
– Chewing gum has been shown to help produce additional saliva. Saliva is important for neutralizing acids in your mouth and providing disease-fighting substances for your teeth and gums.
– Chewing gum is helpful for cavity prevention because it can lower your risk for cavities.
– When your teeth are extremely sensitive and prone to abrasion, do not use toothbrushes or toothpaste. Instead, use nonabrasive products such as chewing gum.
If you would like to learn more about oral health care tips including chewing gum, book a visit with Family Dental Associates, by contacting us at our dentist office in Miami, Oklahoma. Our number is 918-542-3337. Dr. Mark Folks and Dr. Matthew Keim look forward to your visit.